- 1. Theme installation
- 2. Custom Menu
- 3. Custom Background
- 4. Header Image (Logo Upload)
- 5. Customization
- 6. Homepage Design
- 7. How to Disable Comments for Page/Post
- 8. Recommended Image Sizes
- 9. How to set up Blog Page
- 10. Translation
- 11. Gallery Page
- 12. Footer Copyright
- 13. Custom Widgets
- 14. Home Widget Areas
1. Theme installation
1.1 Through Dashboard (Easy)
- Go to Appearance -> Themes.
- Click on Install Themes at the top.
- Click on Upload tab
- Upload “glittering.zip” archive file via web interface
- Activate newly installed theme
1.2 Manual Installation using FTP (Advanced)
- Go to Glittering page at https://ezbing.com/themes/glittering/ .
- Click on Download button to download theme on your Desktop.
- Unzip glittering.zip on your Desktop. You should get folder called “glittering”
- Access your host web server using your favorite FTP client (such as Cyberduck and Transmit for Mac), FileZilla (Windows & Mac) or other).
- Navigate to /wp-content/themes/ and upload entire “glittering” folder.
- Now open WP Dashboard and go to Appearance -> Themes and activate Glittering theme from there.
2. Custom Menu
Glittering theme supports WordPress Custom Menu in header and footer but you can feel free to add Custom Menu in any Widget Area as well. More about its default functionality you can find on this tutorial made by team behind WordPress itself. Custom Menu uses a simple drag & drop interface, so no technical knowledge is required.
2.1. Advanced Menu Setup
This theme uses a custom made Bootstrap Nav Walker that allows to use Glyphicons, font awesome and other Bootstrap styling. Only drawback for it is that is only support two menu levels – main and one sub-menu.
This script included the ability to add Bootstrap dividers, dropdown headers, glyphicons and disables links to your menus through the WordPress Menu interface.
Simply add a Link menu item with a URL of # and a Link Text or Title Attribute of divider (case-insensitive so ‘divider’ or ‘Divider’, both will work ) and the class will do the rest.
To add an Icon to your link simple place the Glyphicon class name in the links Title Attribute field and the class will do the rest. Glyphicon classes you can find here.
2.1.3. Disabled Links
To set a disabled link simply add “disabled” to the Title Attribute and the theme will do the rest.
2.2 Font Awesome Icons
This theme also supports Font Awesome icons that you can in CSS classes. Here is an example how it would look if you want to add Envelope Font Awesome icons inside Contact Us menu:
All Font Awesome icons you can find on their website.
3. Custom Background
Glittering theme supports WordPress Custom Backgrounds feature.
- In WordPress dashboard go to Appearance -> Background.
- You can either set the image or solid color as background.
- You can see the background preview on the same setting page.
- Click Save Changes when you are satisfied with what you see.
- You can always reset theme default background.
4. Header Image (Logo Upload)
For custom header image and custom logo upload this theme uses WordPress Custom Header functionality which can be accessed via WordPress dashboard – Appearance – Header. Here is how it works:
- Upload logo using already familiar WordPress Media Uploader or select image which is already uploaded.
- Crop it (recommended cropped image size will be displayed in the square but you can feel free to modify it but you might “break” website layout in some cases).
- Hit Crop and Publish button and you are ready to go.
There are several customizations available for this theme via Appearance >> Customize >> Glittering Options . You can change breadcrumbs, thumbnail image, elements color, link color, header menu style, footer color, social link color, content option , typography, layout and many other aspects. Example are given in image. If you feel that you can’t do something via web interface, please notify us
6. Homepage Design
6.1 Setup Featured Section for Homepage
Glittering theme relies Custom featured section on front page
- Available for this theme via Appearance >> Customize >> Glittering Front Page >> Featured Section To enable featured section select a background image. Then also add Title and Description,
- You can change color or background color easily here.
6.2 Setup Custom Slider for Homepage
Glittering theme relies on Custom Post slider which is built in into theme and no plugin is required.
- Slider Settings are located in Admin panel >> Slider
- Available for this theme via Appearance >> Customize >> Glittering Front Page >> Slider Section to enable slider tick radio button for showing slider post .
- If you have already published slider post from admin panel you can see that post slider when you check or show radio button click.
- Make sure you have Featured Images uploaded and added for those Posts.
6.3 Setup Call to Action for Homepage
Glittering theme has call to action section in front page
- Available for this theme via Appearance >> Customize >> Glittering Front Page >> Call to Action Section to this type any text in description box.
- Input Button text and link,
- Change color and background color.
6.4 Setup Custom Post Section for Homepage
Glittering theme has custom post section in front page
- Available for this theme via Appearance >> Customize >> Glittering Front Page >> Custom Post Section.
- At first show yes or no then select category,
- Input section title and description as you need
- Change Text color and background color.
6.5 Setup Default content section For Homepage
Glittering theme has default content section on / off in front page
- Available for this theme via Appearance >> Customize >> Glittering Front Page >> Default content Section.
- At first showing this section radio button click to show or not, (default -show)
7. How to Disable Comments for Page/Post
7.1 Default WordPress Option
- Open particular page on which you want to turn off comments via WP dashboard.
- Look for the Discussion box below the post editor box.
- It might be disabled but you can enable it via Screen Options on the upper right corner of Post/Page edit screen.
- Uncheck “Allow Comments” in the Discussion box and hit Update.
To disable Comments on posts “globally”. Go to Settings – Discussion – and untick “ Allow people to post comments on new articles “. This will apply for new Posts. Post that are already published won’t be changed and will still have open comments section.
7.2 Custom Option :
- Custom Setting Option are available in Appearance >> Customize >> Glittering Options >> Content Options
- Visibility yes or no for full website
8. Recommended Image Sizes
Featured Image (Related post and archive) is set to 600 by 400 pixels.
Thumbnail Image or Featured Images – Personally, I use 1000 by 600 pixels.
Featured Slider Images. Personally, I use 1920 by 600-pixel images for Glittering Demo but you can feel free to use any other image size. Images won’t be scaled and you will get what you upload.
Please note! Images for Post thumbnail is not resized and are displayed the same size you uploaded them. Other images such as featured images for posts are resized automatically as you upload them.
When you upload any image in your website for better solution you can compress these images , It’s really better for your website speed ,
Image Optimize site sample : https://tinypng.com/
9. How to set up Blog Page
Blog should be displayed by default on front page. If you have chosen to use Home Page as static like I have in Theme Demo you will have to setup blog page separately.
- Create a new Page and name it “Blog” or whatever you feel right.
- Go to Setting – Reading and select “A static page (select below)”
- Now select previously created Page as “Posts page:”
Glittering theme is translation ready and has translation .pot files included. Once you have translated Glittering, please send translation files to use and we will include them in the next theme update. We would really appreciate your contribution!
11. Gallery Page
Gallery page as on Glittering Demo is created using Jetpack plugin or WordPress built in option.
- Install Jetpack Plugin.
- Enable function called “Tiled Galleries” via WordPress dashboard – Jetpack.
- Create a Post/Page like you normally would.
- Create WordPress gallery and set Tiled Mosaic under Gallery Settings on the right side of the Gallery Edit Screen.
- And select link to None, then Publish to visit page.
- If you know more see WordPress or Jetpack carousel documentation.
12. Footer Copyright
We made it easy to change Footer Copyright information for this theme. You can change it via Appearance >> Customize >> Glittering Options >> Footer. You can also change Footer background, text, link color via Theme Options.
13. Custom Widgets
13.1 Popular Posts Widget
It is a custom-built WordPress widget that can be used like any other default widget. You can enable it via Appearance – Widgets by selecting “Glittering Popular Posts Widget”. There are only two options and both are straightforward – Title and Number of Posts.
13.2. Glittering Social Widget
It is a custom-built WordPress widget that can be used like any other default widget. You can enable it via Appearance – Widgets by selecting “Glittering Social Widget”. There is available Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn link input option.
14. Home Widget Areas
There is a Home widget area where you place any widget which are show on default home page.